ideas* was commissioned to design a heavy duty scrap conveyor for Norstar Steel Recyclers.
The client had identified the existing slatted scrap conveyor as a weak link in their material handling chain that would restrict future plant capacity and reliability.
The ideas* design was to utilise heavy duty caterpillar-track style chain as the key feature.
The work completed included conceptual design, process capacity and flowrate analysis, drive configuration and electrical power determination, structural design and calculation, detail design and preparation of shop drawings for fabrication.
Key design requirements included:
- Process throughput to be capable of 100% increase in capacity.
- Minimal ongoing maintenance.
- Vibrating feeder to be designed for exit transfer to magnetic roll.
- Minimisation and containment of spillage and leakage of fines.
- The conveyor concept also needed to be functionally similar to the existing slatted tumbleback principal.
- The shop drawings were completed within six weeks of the project brief.